AIAA CFD High Lift Prediction Workshop (HLPW-5)
by the AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Technical Committee
- HLPW-5 is a continuation in the series of High Lift Prediction Workshops.
- HLPW-4 was held in January 2022; you can find details at:
There are also sites describing earlier HLPWs.
- Test cases for HLPW-5 will again involve the
High Lift version of the Common Research Model (CRM-HL).
- This configuration (and all data associated with it) is open and in the public domain (see
AIAA Paper 2020-2771 (Lacy & Clark)).
- At this time, anyone interested in the workshop should be a part of one of the Technology Focus Groups (TFGs),
either as an active participant or observer. If you are not, please do so as soon as possible, by contacting a TFG
See HLPW5_KickoffMeeting_final4.pdf for more details,
particularly page 11
(note: some of the information in the slides is preliminary and may have changed or may change in the future).
- If you are only interested in occasional general HLPW-5 announcements, then
sign up to be included on the HiLiftPW email distribution list (see below).
Goals of the Workshop Series
- Assess the numerical prediction capability (meshing, numerics, turbulence
modeling, high-performance computing requirements, etc.) of current-generation CFD
technology/codes for swept, medium-to-high-aspect ratio wings for landing/take-off
- Develop practical modeling guidelines for CFD prediction of high-lift
- Determine the elements of high-lift flow physics that are critical for
modeling to enable the development of more accurate prediction methods and tools.
- Enhance CFD prediction capability for practical high-lift
aerodynamic design and optimization.
- HLPW makes use of configurations for which the geometry and measured data are fully
open (with unrestricted public availability), forming the basis for international
cooperation/collaboration on this important open topic. In keeping with the goals
of the HLPW series, CFD data generated by workshop participants are also made publicly
However, note that accuracy and adequacy of participant results are not
guaranteed. All participant CFD results should be viewed as workshop-type solutions,
for the purpose of advancing the shared understanding of the high-lift community,
and not as final production-type solutions.
- This workshop is being conducted in a similar way to HLPW-4, with
virtual collaboration during the months leading up to the
workshop. These collaborative efforts are
accomplished through "Technology Focus Groups" (TFGs).
The TFGs cover
specific areas of interest: Fixed Grid RANS, Mesh Adaptation, High Order Discretization,
Wall-Modeled LES, and Hybrid RANS/LES.
More details can be found in the "TFG Details" link below.
- When participating in the HLPWs, participants can choose to be either an active participant or an
- Active Participants:
- Must join at least one TFG and actively participate (virtually) in its meetings during
the time leading up to the final in-person workshop
- Work performed on behalf of a TFG will be included in that TFG's summary presented by the
TFG leader(s) at the final in-person workshop
- Are encouraged to attend the final in-person workshop, but are not required to do so
- Are welcome to join any TFG
- Can still perform research on their own (or do nothing), but their work will not be shown or
represented at the final in-person workshop
- Can attend the final in-person workshop if desired
- Anyone is welcome to attend the final in-person workshop, subject to
attendance limitations imposed by AIAA. The final in-person workshop is run by AIAA, and there is a fee associated with
attending it. There is no fee to participate in the TFGs or any of the virtual meetings leading
up to the final in-person workshop.
**Participation in HLPW implies agreement that any submitted results, grids, presentations, or other data
will be made publicly available. Participants are responsible for obtaining necessary
permissions from their own organizations prior to the workshop.
|Test Case 1 geometry files and grids publicly available
|Test Case 2 geometry files and grids publicly available
|Test Case 1 Preliminary Results Deadline
|Virtual Mini-Workshop #1 (Test Case 1)
|July 13, 9am eastern
|Test Case 3 geometry files and grids publicly available
|Test Case 2 Preliminary Results Deadline
|Virtual Mini-Workshop #2 (Test Case 2)
|Test Case 3 Results Deadline
|Same time as final deadline (no mini-workshop)
|Final Results Deadline all cases (submitted to TFG leaders
|Early Aug, associated with AIAA Aviation
Wind Tunnel Data (not available yet)
Workshop Agenda (not available yet)
Workshop Presentations (not available yet)
Workshop Results (not available yet)
Link to 4th Workshop (HLPW-4) Website Home Page
Link to 3rd Workshop (HiLiftPW-3) Website Home Page
Link to 2nd Workshop (HiLiftPW-2) Website Home Page
Link to 1st Workshop (HiLiftPW-1) Website Home Page
High Lift version of the Common Research Model (CRM-HL)
AIAA Drag Prediction Workshop
To sign up to be included on
the HiLiftPW email distribution list, for notification of updates, or for general
questions or other information
Recent Significant Site Updates
Privacy Act Statement
This workshop supports initiatives in NASA's Aeronautics Research Mission Directorate
Responsible NASA Official:
Last Updated: 08/17/2023